Thursday, March 31, 2016

Spring is in the Air - New York Botanical Garden Orchid Show

During the kiddos spring break, I decided to take advantage of one of the wonders of living in the NY Metro area and take them to see The Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Garden. Having been a resident of the five boroughs of NY for most of my entire life, I believe I take for granted the numerous wonders of the city. Like most NY'ers, my thought process is usually I know it's there and I know it's probably pretty but I'll get there when I get a chance or It will be too crowded." But the problem with that thinking is that I usually don't get a chance. So off we went.....


Let me say that The Orchid Show is absolutely amazing. I can't even imagine the amount of work that goes into arranging the flowers, plus upkeep of the display throughout the duration of show. I was worried that my youngest would get easily bored but we used it as an opportunity to work on colors and it was fun for both of them. 


The amount of colors and various flowers held in this one space was unbelievable. I  tried to answer the science questions from my daughter the best I could with my high school biology. But in case your memory is foggy, the garden has some handy signs where you can call and enter a code and get some wonderful information to satisfy those inquisitive minds. 


Now the price to see the show includes the ability to see other attractions at the Garden. And for those with families, you may want to consider getting the family membership instead as that enables you to get to the garden numerous times instead of the one time payment to see the show. It also includes some passes for parking. 

While we were there, we went over to the Children's garden. It has a lot to offer the kids with microscopes for them to view slides of various things, a small greenhouse where they can water plants and also some hands on activities (we were able to plant some peppermint plants). 


The Orchid Show runs until April 17, 2016 and more information about ticket pricing, upcoming exhibits and directions can be found at their website: New York Botanical Garden Home Page

Hope you get a chance to see the show and enjoy the beautiful colors!


No comments:

Post a Comment